Forest School is a unique method of Outdoor Education that allows children to develop confidence, independence, self-esteem and awareness and knowledge of the natural environment. This is achieved by setting small achievable tasks. The child is never put in a position where he/she will fail so success is attained. It is a child centred and child led programme that provides the opportunity for the children to use their personal learning style to complete their chosen tasks. We believe everybody should have regular, long-term access to a woodland or natural environment which provides them with inspirational and challenging outdoor learning opportunities. Forest School offers a learner centred approach, where participants can learn through self-directed play and exploration. Children who come to Pleasant Street will be given the opportunity to develop their curiosity, confidence, self-esteem, creativity, empathy, communication skills, knowledge of the natural environment and ability to assess risk.
At Pleasant Street through the deliverance of Forest School we:
- Provide children with experiences that encourages an appreciation, awareness and knowledge of the natural environment.
- Deliver opportunities for pupils to learn to respect and care for their own local environment.
- To abide by rules and set standards of behaviour, to work cooperatively in groups and to respect each other.
- Develop children’s self-esteem and self confidence through the setting of small achievable tasks.
Our activities will depend on the ability and experience of participants. Examples of Forest School activities include:
- Nature exploration
- Building dens and other structures
- Fires and cook