At Pleasant Street Primary School, we believe that developing an interest in reading is key to the future success of our children. We aim to develop enthusiastic and confident readers who can understand a wide range of texts.
Children will be taught to:
- Read aloud fluently and with expression
- Read for meaning
- Develop the skills required for the critical reading of texts
- Read a wide range of fiction, poetry and non-fiction materials
- Use a range of strategies for reading including:
- Phonic (sounding the letters and blending them together. Visual (whole word recognition and analogy with known words)
- Contextual (use of picture and background knowledge)
- Grammatical (which words make sense)
We use a wide range of schemes for reading including Oxford Reading Tree, Read, Write Inc, Dandelion Readers, Phonics Bug, Comics for Phonics. We also use Bug Club which allows us access to a wide range of e-readers. Children also have access to a range of texts from the class library.
We have set up a dedicated Twitter account for reading across the school. Staff also use the hashtag #pleasantstreaders when promoting reading throughout the school.